Sign in to follow this  
LisaLarter

Publishing

LisaLarter

I'm working on my next book. I've completed one chapter. Yay me - I know, no big deal, get on with it. 4000 words is not even 10% of what you need but finishing one chapter is significant for me. 

My question is around publishing. I am an advocate of speed even though I've been a slow writer. I am more in the retail space as Alan would say. Do I self publish or should I pitch a traditional publisher and if I go the publishing route, which ones are the best for getting a book out quickly? 

Praveen

You can have both traditional and self-published books. Since you have a strong brand, you can sell self-published books to your audience, while your traditionally published ones build credibility with more corporate audiences.

The easiest and fastest way to self-publish is with Createspace, though they only do paperback books, not hardback ones.

They will automatically be available in all Amazons, since Createspace is owned by Amazon.

LisaLarter

What is the fastest traditional publisher? 

Alan Weiss

There is no fastest traditional publisher. It depends on how fast you submit the book, what their publishing calendar is, the time of year, and the mood of the editorial board. You can probably get a commercially published book out within four months of getting it to the publisher. The problem with your question is that you don't indicate what the book is about or who your audience is. "Retail" is broad. Praveen's response is situational. Your brand is known in some places, not others, and it's not as strong as it should be in any case. 

I wouldn't advise Createspace, but rather a more methodical approach to the book, art work, printing, formatting, and so on. 

LisaLarter

My book is called Virtual Prosperity. It's about how to drive sales and profits for your business in a virtual world where we are all connected online. It's for small and mid size businesses and or consultants who want to expand their brand online and intersect their content and offers with the right buyer. I plan to have the book professionally edited and have a great cover designed so it won't look amateur whether it's self published or published. I am motivated because I've finished a chapter, I have a number of people willing to pre buy the book as I write it and although I'm not in the book selling business, my last book was a great lead generation tool for me. I want to get the work out quickly because some of it may be time sensitive based on how quickly online marketing changes. In your opinion @Alan Weiss should I seek a publisher or self publish? 

LisaLarter

I also need accountability so pre-sales or a publisher contract will inspire my overly responsible to others self to finish. 

Alan Weiss

Ignore the fact that a few people have offered to buy it in advance, that's generalizing from a specific, and focusing on people who already know you.

There are people—I have access to some—who can manage a self-published book all the way through the process, including editing (all editing is "professional"), formatting, graphics, jacket art, and printing (using printers who work for the commercial publishers), as I did with Thrive!

If you're worried about built-in obsolescence from social media technological change, keep the book an e-book. Self- or commercial publishing is irrelevant to that point.

My overall advice is this: Stop writing, because you want a book proposal not a finished manuscript at this point. Submit it to publishers and/or agents, since you have a potentially huge audience. At the same time, create s series of five or so, 25-page e-books on various aspects of virtual world profits, e.g., reaching maximum names, targeting, accurate offers, etc. That will also help your marketing platform for the publishers' consideration.

I think in this way you have the best of both worlds. 

LisaLarter

STOP writing?!?!? 

Ugh you and @Roberta Matuson both telling me to write the dang proposal. Fine. I'll do that today. 

LisaLarter

And what do I do with these 25 page books? Sell them or give them away?

Dean Robinson

I'm finalising the re-format of my e-books right now (I have four of them). They'll be available on my website and available for download, for free, once you have entered your details. I've built the body of work and want to get it out there.

I'm going to have a couple printed up in small batches to give to people as well. Sort of like a business card with bigger impact.

Alan Weiss

Put some price on them but give them away. 

popky
14 hours ago, Alan Weiss said:

editing (all editing is "professional")

Welll....If you mean it's professional because someone was paid to do it, then yes, I agree with you. But I've seen too many so-called professional editors who couldn't edit their way out of a paper bag.

As Alan knows, I'm often brought in to re-edit a manuscript that was poorly edited (by a supposed professional) the first time around, or even the second.

Be wary of editing that is sent offshore to people who don't speak English as their first language because it's the cheapest option for the publisher. I've also seen some poor editing by native English speakers, but you at least have a fighting chance if your editor is well-versed in language and editing conventions.

regards,

Linda

Alan Weiss

Linda, Lisa simply said she wanted it edited professionally. As opposed to what, amateurishly? You're arguing over whom should be paid to do it, which is a tactic not a strategy. 

Linda Henman

Lisa, let me join those who are encouraging you to write a proposal. Taking the time to write a proposal is not wasted, whether or not you seek an agent and commercial publisher.

If you follow Alan's format, you'll be forced to think about all kinds of aspects of the book, well beyond the Table of Contents. For my last two proposals, I wrote the first paragraph for each chapter as part of the TOC. It really speeds things up when start actually writing the book.

The marketing piece is the hardest for most people, but I imagine that will the easiest for you. But one question. Your target is small businesses and consultants,  but won't larger businesses benefit from your ideas too? I"m thinking of the marketing people at a large corporation. I think you'll have many good ideas that they would find applicable.

• Like 1

LisaLarter

Thank you @Linda Henman I'm working on it. The process has been helpful. I got quite a bit done yesterday, got some great input from @ColleenFrancis and I'm listening to everyone's advice. I can see how this process makes writing the book so much easier. I'm not sure why I was resisting it so much. 

LisaLarter

Back to the book proposal today, once it's complete, what's my next step? Do I need an agent or do I go directly to a publisher? 

Linda Henman

Both have worked for me, but when I went directly to the publisher, it was because I had a relationship with them already. Not sure how you'd do if you don't at least have an introduction from someone here.

Business Expert Press and Career Press know a lot of us already. You can probably just identify yourself as a member of Alan's community and get someone there to read your proposal

If you approach one of the bigger ones, you'll probably need an introduction or an agent.

LisaLarter

Thanks @Linda Henman hope to see you at TL next week! 

c warren

Linda is right.  Send an email to  Scott Isenberg head of BEP and mention  you are from Alan’s community. They have their own format for book proposals which they will provide you if they are  interested.

• Like 1

Linda Henman

BEP does have their own format, as do several other publishers, but I've always used Alan's, and no one has asked me to re-do it.

Alan Weiss

You can cut and paste mine into BEP's without any problem at all.