Arthur Koch

Transcription Services

Arthur Koch

Hi Friends,

Can you recommend a transcription service?  This would be for book writing.

Please let me know if I've posted this in the incorrect locations.

Thanks in advance for everyones help.

Art

Ruben Ugarte

Hi Arthur,

I have used https://www.rev.com/ in the past which charges $1 per minute and is quite good. I also recently tried https://sonix.ai/ which is done by computers and not humans. This was okay but might be fine depending on what you need.

Ruben

• Thanks 1

Arthur Koch

Thanks @Ruben Ugarte  rev.com have been recommended once before, so it good to hear a second time.

Douglas Squirrel

I have an individual named Nell I use for report writing who is amazing and quick - she interprets my halting and awkward speech and turns it into purple prose, cleaning up my grammar and confusing sentences and formatting everything according to my standards. Using her is enormously helpful for avoiding self-editing since I can't see the words I just "wrote" and therefore can't get distracted by them! It also helps that she is in a distant time zone (Seattle) so it's as if my reports write themselves overnight. I'm sure she could help with a book also.

Nell's capacity is limited, so I'd like to introduce her to any interested folks rather than publish her info here - please write me at ds@douglassquirrel.com if interested.

LisaLarter

Rev just increased their fee to $1.25 per minute which for transcription I find high. I’m testing other reliable options right now that are closer to $0.80 per min. We do a quite a large volume of transcription so I’m trying to maintain a competitive rate. 

c warren

Rev also has an automated service that cost .10c per min - accuracy is good.

Alan Weiss

The difference between .80 per minute and $1.25 per minute is, I think, $27 per hour. I would think the issue is quality, not that kind of price differential.

KrisWalkerly

@Arthur Koch I've also used rev.com and find it to be fine and super easy to use. But in my experience you get a different transcriptionist each time, so he quality could vary. If you are writing a book, there could be a lot of value in having one person handle all the transcription, as he/she would get used to your voice, style, etc. @Douglas Squirrel's person sounds great and worth considering!

Hamish Mackenzie

I'm not sure if it would 100% replace a good transcription service, but I just posted in the Technology Section about the new Dictate function in Microsoft Word. Might be worth a look.