Alan's Forums

Lockdown

Sten Vesterli

Denmark is in full panic mode. As of noon today, the borders are closed for everybody but Danish citizens. Schools closed, universities closed, bars & restaurants closed (even McDonalds), all sports events, concerts, conventions, performances cancelled, cinemas closed, health clubs closed, all business meetings with external people cancelled, employers ordering employees to work from home. There will be a baby boom in 9 months...

border_closed.jpg

Edited by Sten Vesterli
  • Like 1
  • Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Alan Weiss

• patrickdaly

• Sten Vesterli

• popky

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Denmark is in full panic mode. As of noon today, the borders are closed for everybody but Danish citizens. Schools closed, universities closed, bars & restaurants closed (even McDonalds), all spor

Chinese proverb: Saving money by not lighting candles often results in twins. Are you going to let Bernie Sanders in? He needs someplace to go, and he's always seemed quite fond of the country.

Nah, we're not big on foreign welfare scroungers, even if they're fans...

Posted Images

Alan Weiss

Chinese proverb: Saving money by not lighting candles often results in twins.

Are you going to let Bernie Sanders in? He needs someplace to go, and he's always seemed quite fond of the country.

• Like 1
popky

Interesting how in this situation, being part of the EU is overridden by national concerns (no one but Danes allowed in). That may very well be the right thing to do, but it sort of goes against all of what the EU has stood for.

Aviv Ben-Yosef

We just got an update here in Israel as well: no leisure activity (restaurants, events, weddings, gyms, etc.). All schools and kindergartens are shut down (good luck for me working with three kids from home!). Everyone are encouraged to work from home and no groups bigger than 10 people.

Praveen

I’m at the public library checking out a lot of books since the kids will be home for at least the next few weeks, and I’m not sure how long the library will stay open. It’s a Saturday, and there are more staff than patrons.

Stephen Wise

all Public libraries, community centres, schools (Elementary, Secondary, Post-Secondary) shut down in Toronto yesterday.

This is preventative as we are not seeing a high number of cases at this time. 

Sten Vesterli
1 hour ago, Praveen said:

I’m at the public library checking out a lot of books since the kids will be home for at least the next few weeks, and I’m not sure how long the library will stay open. It’s a Saturday, and there are more staff than patrons.

Our libraries are closed too...

Sten Vesterli
2 hours ago, Alan Weiss said:

Are you going to let Bernie Sanders in? He needs someplace to go, and he's always seemed quite fond of the country.

Nah, we're not big on foreign welfare scroungers, even if they're fans...

• Haha 1
Sten Vesterli
1 hour ago, popky said:

Interesting how in this situation, being part of the EU is overridden by national concerns (no one but Danes allowed in). That may very well be the right thing to do, but it sort of goes against all of what the EU has stood for.

Yes, national concerns will override European ones for at least a few more centuries. I'm curious if the US will impose large-scale internal travel restrictions.

popky
1 hour ago, Praveen said:

Go for Kindle editions. You can get a Kindle subscription with unlimited access for a fairly low monthly fee

Alan Weiss

Danes in this country have been asked to provide public welfare ideas in large, open stadiums.

popky

...and as of tonight all of California is in lockdown. 40 million people.

The problem is that as of now, the number of cases is doubling every 2-3 days. That means we could have more than 50% of the population infected in 8 weeks. Most of those people will recover and be just fine, but if only 1% of those need hospitalization, that's 200,000 people, and we don't have nearly that many hospital rooms, or medical personnel to care for them. So that's what behind the effort to try and flatten the curve.

I do have to say that I've found the lockdown here to be quite porous. I've been out a couple of times for good reasons: pick up a Rx, notarize documents at bank, pick up the dog. Every time, I see a ton of people out and about. Not nearly as many as normally, but not as deserted as I expected. The parking lot at Home Depot was full when I drove by.  I guess everyone is doing their home improvement projects while sequestered. We may need to patrol this a little more if things don't improve soon.

There's an article circulating from the UK that says this may last 18 months. I asked my ex, who is a medical researcher who's worked with viruses for 30 years. He says that's probably the worst case, but it's not unreasonable to expect a year of this. Partly, this is because we won't likely have a vaccine for at least a year. Throwing more people and money at the problem will not likely help. Some things just take time--for example, they need enough people to recover and have antibodies to the virus to provide the start of a vaccine, then they need to develop various vaccine variations, test them, and see what works. Doesn't happen overnight because the government says it should.

Life in the new world...

Alan Weiss

Let's stop asking one-off people and reporting their opinions as if they're researched. That's part of the panic. 

The truth is, no one knows. Taking this two weeks at a time makes sense. Gearing up for worst case makes sense. Staying positive for best case makes sense.

You're not going to "confine" 40 million people. 

Hamish Mackenzie

As I have said elsewhere, the possible baby boom will only apply to couples who don't already have kids, because for those of us who do, school closure means opportunity and motivation for procreation have now been simultaneously and indefinitely removed....

On the lockdown front, the reality is (unsurprisingly) nowhere near as dramatic as the media would have you believe, since I can still go to the shops, go for a run, fill up my car with gas, etc. etc. We are not all sitting in our basements counting our rolls of toilet paper, although I have a feeling that is what the government would prefer. And on the other hand, I now have to visit 6 different supermarkets in order to try and find the items that the others have run out of, which kind of defeats the purpose or restricted movement...

If anything, what is noticeable is that some people now seem to believe they can catch the virus from looking at one another, the way they are behaving.

I believe the advice is to not to travel further than you have to. However, I see no earthly reason why I shouldn't get in my car, drive 45 minutes to the mountains, park my car, walk up the mountain and back down again, and drive back home. This will require zero personal interaction with anyone or anything other than my car. So that is what I will be doing tomorrow, via the backroads if I have to.

• Like 1
Alan Weiss

I agree with you, Hamish. I think they're going to close my personal trainer down and the manicurists and hair dressers. But I can drive over to my train house, put gas in the cars, take the dogs for coffee, go for takeout dinners, and so forth. With coaching calls, writing, and developing new offerings, my days are pretty full (for me). There's also Frisbee or bazooka, but Bentley is starting to play "taunt" which ends the game. 

Hamish Mackenzie

Thanks Alan.

Not sure if this is the best place for this, but I also wanted to make people aware of Sten's excellent crisis-relevant advice on the IT security side of things, which he has been talking about on LinkedIn this week.

https://www.linkedin.com/feed/update/urn:li:activity:6645957209681391616/

https://www.linkedin.com/feed/update/urn:li:activity:6645639677984415744/

Alan Weiss

Also excellent. Get into what I've been calling "the public square."

• Like 1
dgardner

I've been watching the numbers here in Santa Clara County (Silicon Valley) closely.

As of last night, out of 1.932 million people, we have had 321 confirmed COVID-19 positives and 13 deaths. That seems pretty low to me. 

• Is it this low because we are all on "shelter-in-place?" Possibly. 
  • Is it this low because of the lack of testing? Possibly.
  • Have we "flattened the curve?"  I don't think we know; too early to tell.
  • Is it time to open up the economy?  As much as I'd like to see that, I say no at this point.

At my age (67 for a few more days) and being a Type II diabetic, if I were to become infected, it could be fatal. When I get sick, I get really sick.

All the best...Dave

Praveen

Take care of yourself, Dave!

I think, to be able to open things up, we will need a lot more testing—preferably, a quick, reliable self-test that we can widely distribute.  Then, people could test themselves weekly, and self-quarantine if they're positive.  Otherwise, they could go out.

dgardner

Thanks, Praveen. Agree with you about testing!!

Sten Vesterli

Creative people are working on at-home testing, but for now, the FDA has put the boot down and said no. https://www.statesman.com/business/20200324/fda-advisory-leads-austinrsquos-everlywell-to-hit-pause-on-direct-to-consumer-coronavirus-testing-kits

Aviv Ben-Yosef

Effective in 40 minutes, Israel will go into 7 days where you are not allowed to be more than 100 meters away from your home unless you’re out buying groceries, or going to work that can’t be done from home. I’m still waiting to hear from someone what’s the game plan for ending this.

We have about 2,000 sick here, 5 dead. I personally know three people who got it, which is surprising.

Edited by Aviv Ben-Yosef
Number of people I know with COVID19 increased!
Alan Weiss

India is trying to lock in their homes over a billion people for 21 days. What if you don't have food? 

Rhode Island's economy is at a standstill, a record number of jobless claims. We have a hundred or so cases of the illness, no deaths, everyone being treated or recovering at home.