Alan's Forums
Alan Weiss

The Ballet and Beyond

Alan Weiss

As the president of the board of the ballet here, I've had to hold a phone board meeting and communicate almost daily with the board members and the artistic director and executive director. Among the actions:

• Release the dancers for their own health and because we can't afford to keep them on salary.

• Cancel performances for the foreseeable future.

• Cancel our school classes.

• Cancel our fundraising gala.

• Try to find alternative income/donations since our traditional revenue streams and fundraisers are gone.

• Alert the State Treasurer, our Congressman, and the Majority Leader of our plight (all of whom I know) and we already received some help in terms of salary replacement.

• Communicate with some of the other arts groups to explore best practices and try to act in concert.

• Make plans for the maternity leave of the executive director, which is imminent. 

• Provide a $100,000 loan as needed to get us to the light at the end of the tunnel. 

I was scheduled to read in church last night but all Masses are cancelled, so we'll attend a televised Mass this morning. Our favorite restaurant was fairly crowded, but all large groups cancelled and they'll probably do only on "turn" instead of two or more.

My meeting planner, whom some of you know, Ed Tati, lives in Spain and he told me this morning that Madrid is like a post-apocalyptic movie. The dogs and I are back from Dunkin' with some iced cappuccinos. Maria says it's a good thing I have so many hobbies to keep me occupied. We tried to watch "Uncut Gems" last night and we both found it horribly tedious. We have watched two dozen Law and Order reruns, still the best stuff on TV.

Linda Henman

One the theater groups here is asking patrons to donate the price of tickets to the company instead of seeking reimbursement. Cancelling performances may put some small companies out of business.

Alan Weiss

That's absolutely true. The San Francisco Ballet has refused to make refunds. We're going to ask for a donation or exchange tickets for a future performance. Even TLM, who's tough and has been on the board for 20 years, said that if I weren't president, the ballet would have to close the doors. My immediate predecessor said the same thing. Like I said in the icy pond, you do what you have to do.

Richard Citrin

Our Food Bank’s Empty Bowl fundraiser was scheduled for today but was of course cancelled. I’m going to sponsor a Facebook fundraiser on their behalf and see if we can get a few dollars in 

we do what we can do

ColleenFrancis

Chris and I are supporting local small business as best we can by eating out, taking Uber and over tipping. All with caution of course. Last night at dinner all staff had gloves on and stood further away than normal. Staffing are opening doors for all patrons, and wiping down everything with disinfecting wipes regularly. I also noticed that they were doing their best to seat people further away from others where possible.

Alan Weiss

I feel the same way. The car valets had gloves on.

However, tonight TLM is making corned beef and cabbage, which I love. Hunting through my wines I actually found a 1970 Chateau Lafite Rothschild, but I'm "settling" for a 2012 Château Cantemerle Haut-Médoc. I'm starting to wonder what else I have squirreled away in the wine racks and forgotten about!

So far my gym is staying open and there's usually only three of us at a time working with our trainers in a large room. 

hannojarvet
15 minutes ago, Alan Weiss said:

I feel the same way. The car valets had gloves on.

However, tonight TLM is making corned beef and cabbage, which I love. Hunting through my wines I actually found a 1970 Chateau Lafite Rothschild, but I'm "settling" for a 2012 Château Cantemerle Haut-Médoc. I'm starting to wonder what else I have squirreled away in the wine racks and forgotten about!

So far my gym is staying open and there's usually only three of us at a time working with our trainers in a large room. 

Please provide photographic evidence of all unearthed treasures. 

popky

I have a client who brings in some of the world's best classical pianists for concerts in Silicon Valley. They finally agreed to cancel next week's performance after the venue was shut down, the county forbid gatherings of more than 200 people, and the artist was unable to fly here from Europe (in other words, when they had absolutely no choice but to cancel). Before that, they were amazingly recalcitrant about cancelling. I finally told them that given the circumstances, ethically I was no longer able to promote an event that might result in harm to the organization or their customers.

What this group and many other arts groups are doing is offering ticketholders a credit towards a future performance, not a refund. The communication that went out to patrons talked about the financial hardship this situation puts on the organization and requested that if possible they donate the value of their ticket back to the group and receive a tax deduction. One person agreed to do that yesterday. Hopefully, others will follow.

The City of San Jose has in the past stepped in to help local arts groups with funding. However, that money comes from a tax on hotel rooms, and if hotel revenue drops dramatically, so will that pool of money. This will impact many arts organizations.

Yesterday I was in an emergency board meeting of a local diabetes support group that had planned several in-person events this spring that provide the bulk of the groups revenue for the year (and will no longer be held). We strategized how to create virtual events instead, at a lower fee, but also without the in-person expenses, and what we needed to do to keep the group afloat through this crisis.

I suspect these conversations are just the tip of the iceberg...

Stephen Wise

@popky

Here are refund options I received from Mirvish.com in a long email this morning announcing closures. 

• Credit for use towards a show in the 2020-21 season
  • Exchange your tickets for an alternate show
  • Receive a refund

Alan Weiss

Hanno, ignoring the obvious Caymus and Far Nientes, here are a few from the depths.

IMG_0087.jpeg

IMG_0085.jpeg

IMG_0089.jpeg

IMG_0086.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Praveen

I just took my younger son to the movies this afternoon.  AMC is only selling 1/2 the capacity of its theaters, so people can keep their distance. But there weren't too many people there.