Alan's Forums
KrisWalkerly

Promoting a new book during a crisis

KrisWalkerly

My second book, Delusional Altruism: Why Philanthropists Fail To Achieve Change and What They Can Do To Transform Giving, is being published next week by Wiley.

My ultimate goal for the book is to secure more advising retainers.  I have a marketing plan in place, but am concerned that with everyone's attention focused on COVID-19 it might not get as much attention. Question: What suggestions do you have for leveraging my book to stand out from the crowd during a global pandemic?

Here's what I am doing:

1. I hired David Ratner PR a few weeks ago to help with publicity and pitching stories to media and booking podcasts. This is the firm Alan most recently used for his book and recommended. I am awaiting their press/pitch materials this week, and we are in discussions about how to pitch the book given the pandemic.
  2. I'm writing a lot of content that draws directly from my book with the angle of "philanthropy during a crisis" (e.g., "Don't Let Fear Paralyze Your Philanthropy"). I'm sharing these on Forbes, my newsletter, they are being reposted on other philanthropy sites, and I'm sharing on social media.
  3. I'm promoting pre-order bonuses, and these have been moderately successful (the book was the #1 new release for philanthropy/nonprofit books on Amazon a few weeks ago). I'm planning to increase promotion of the remote bonuses this week (e.g., offering virtual private consultations and webinars as opposed to speaking events)
  4. Mailing books to clients, prospects, CEOs of largest 50 foundations, and CEOs of philanthropy associations. I've been planning to send out 2 signed copies of my book to each person, one for them and one to share. This would include a handwritten note or letter indicating I will follow up with them to schedule a call to discuss some of the ideas in this book. BUT NOW EVERYONE IS WORKING FROM HOME! I'm wondering if I should:
    1. Reach out to the people I know, let them know I'm sending them a free copy of my book as a gift, and asking them for the best address to send it to
    2. For the people I don't personally know (and don't feel comfortable asking them to share their home address), going ahead and sending to their office anyway -- they will receive it when they stop in or remote working comes to an end.

I would appreciate any other suggestions or approaches. @Alan Weiss of course I am especially in your opinion, but am posting this here because I know a lot of members in this community have recently published or will soon be publishing books, and they might want to participate in this conversation.  Thanks!!

• Like 1

Praveen

1. Is there a chapter or section of the book that would be particularly relevant for philanthropy during the COVID crises?  That would be something you could play up in the media or create a webinar around.

2. Maybe you should email the execs and offer to send them an e-version of the book, in addition to the printed versions?

KrisWalkerly

Thank you @Praveen!

erikpelton

My book was just released about 10 days ago, just before the crisis.  Here is what I am doing, on top of all the promotion videos and website (www.buildingaboldbrand.com) that I had already created:

- Reduced Kindle price to $2.99, the lowest it will allow me. More people are likely to be reading at home now. Also a gesture of assisting people in the crisis.

- Sending out 100+ physical copies that I bought to connections and great clients. I am ordering this week a note card to send with it that explains why I am sending, asks for an Amazon review if they enjoy it, and on the back has new content I just created relevant to the current crisis: 5 Tips for Managing a Brand in Time of Crisis

(Book: Building a Bold Brand, here https://www.amazon.com/Building-Bold-Brand-foundations-protection-ebook/dp/B085L8ZCBL/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=erik+pelton&qid=1584550191&sr=8-1)

Alan Weiss

I would argue with your premise about everyone is totally focused on the virus. That's exactly what's not really happening, with few exceptions. People have a lot of time on their hands right now (which is why they should be sanitized so often) and therefore my pitch would be: Don't sit there looking at the walls and fretting. You can use a small portion of your newly available time to make your organization and its effectiveness better than ever....

KrisWalkerly
26 minutes ago, Alan Weiss said:

and therefore my pitch would be: Don't sit there looking at the walls and fretting. You can use a small portion of your newly available time to make your organization and its effectiveness better than ever....

I like that, thanks Alan!

Alan Weiss

I'm telling everyone, in so many words, that people DO have time to consider new ideas, options, and different views. The key is how to get these in front of them.

SethKahan

fully agree. execs always complain they do not have time for strategic reflection. now they are counting their toes! Now is the perfect time to read a book that will help you with your business!

Alan Weiss

By the way, Sentient Strategy is an ideal vehicle to set strategy remotely with an executive team. Same principle.

ColleenFrancis

I would do a series of free Linked In Videos

Becky Morgan
4 hours ago, erikpelton said:

I am ordering this week a note card to send with it that explains why I am sending, asks for an Amazon review if they enjoy it, and on the back has new content I just created relevant to the current crisis: 5 Tips for Managing a Brand in Time of Crisis

Is all this info going to be preprinted and you’ll stuff notecards in envelopes?

erikpelton

Yes pre-printing a card, with space to add a handwritten note.

Alan Weiss

There must be two different threads on this topic. I printed somewhere else in this theme park: Give out the electronic version for free, and place free excerpts of the book on social media, your blog, your newsletter, and on other people's devices.

Douglas Squirrel

The other thread, for anyone interested, is below. 

My publisher has (months ago) told my co-author and I in no uncertain terms not to distribute electronic copies or excerpts of our book (being printed now, due out 12th May). Are you suggesting they might relax that restriction in light of current events? I had been thinking instead that we would do livestreams and blog posts based on the material, but not lift text from the book.

I'm also a little confused by "place free excerpts...on other people's devices"? Do you mean a free download or an app or something else? Might you say more about this? Thanks!

Alan Weiss

I mean write a guest column for my blog which is an excerpt from your book, and do the same with other people, other outlets.

Your publisher told you not to do that even after publication? You own the copyright. There is no law against anyone excepting any book contents so long as:

1. It's a limited excerpt  (e.g., several paragraphs)

2. It's used for review or commentary purposes (e.g., in his book, he comments that....)

Douglas Squirrel

Ah I see thanks.

Book is out in May, we're not supposed to excerpt it until then.

Alan Weiss

That makes sense, though pre-publication promotion and reviews are still legal and permissible.