Alan's Forums
ColleenFrancis

My Lessons Learned So far

ColleenFrancis

Hi Everyone,

I've had a couple of experience that I think are worth sharing from the last week's events.

1. Video is our best friend for delivery and marketing. If you use Linked In and have access to either record a video or host one live, do it! People are hungry for content right now and are engaging online.  A Live Broadcast we created yesterday has been viewed over 5000 times so far and the level of engagement with my clients and prospects is high.

2. I ran a full day workshop for 12 people last week over Zoom. Some keys to making it work include:

• Everyone worked from home to avoid office distractions
  • Video was a requirement so we could see them all
  • I ran 4 90 minute sessions with 30 minute breaks and an hour for lunch
  • Each 30 minute break also included an exercise that they had to complete and report back on during the next segment
  • I did not ask for volunteers. I "voluntold" everyone to ensure participation
  • I used forms, slides and documents to support my materials as well as capturing notes and ideas while sharing my screen - to try and replicate a flip chart
  • There was a follow up email sent, with homework and we are all meeting again next week for 90 minutes to review the homework.

3. We will be replicating this format next week for a two day workshop with 20 people, and I'm insisting on a check in / introduction call the afternoon before the workshop to make sure everyone's technology is working.

4. Some industries are booming. One of my clients discovered "by accident" that the lenses they make are used in the portable temperature scanners. Their biggest issue right now is expediting orders. Andrew Hollo made a good point on another thread about segmenting his client's into those are are doing great right now vs those that need other areas of support.

5. Following Alan's lead I will be providing a free broadcast to a large client community next week.

Hope this helps and I look forward to hearing what others are doing.

• Like 5

Alan Weiss

Great input, Colleen, thanks. Lisa Larter has put up a Zoom tutorial on another thread, as well.

KrisWalkerly

Thank you Colleen, this is super helpful!

JeffreyScott

Thanks Colleen. Excellent structure, i will copy some of that.

On Monday I shifted my 50 person event to online (33+ people showed up.)

I didn't do the exercises or show people faces. But I did turn on my camera often and worked from my flip chart. that worked very well.

Thanks for sharing

andrewhollo
5 hours ago, Alan Weiss said:

Lisa Larter has put up a Zoom tutorial on another thread, as well.

I've searched for this without success - can someone put up a link please?

Andrew

Diana

Great share Colleen and your innovative approaches. Much appreciated. I like the day before intro and techno check, and task in between sessions.

Amanda Setili

Fantastic advice, Colleen. And, your LinkedIn live session earlier this week was really great. I'm not surprised it's gotten 5000 views, as it was very practical and timely. 

Amanda

ColleenFrancis

Thanks for watching it Amanda. I'm doing them weekly now and they've been an excellent way for me to connect with my Linked in community. I can also leverage them by sharing the links with other communities including newsletter lists, clients, and other social media.

ColleenFrancis

For those using zoom to run meetings....

There is a great breakout room function that is easy to set up on the fly with one cavaet:

Sometimes people use computer for video and call in on audio. This is common is they don't have a good mic on their computers. You MUST merge their two zoom profiles during the call BEFORE the breakout rooms are set up. If you don't, Zoom thinks they are two different users and separates them into different rooms. 

In my first attempt I had voiceless heads in one room, and headless voices in another!

It's an easy fix, just click on the little dots on the phone number profile and select "merge with video." it will prompt you to select the right video to attach the audio too.

• Like 2

Phil Symchych

Thanks, Colleen. Very useful!

Beth Sears

Great ideas Colleen … Thanks

Alan Weiss

I hope you'll read either of my blogs today for the Q&A I couldn't get to during the livestream broadcast. My 90-day coaching service, in about one week, is up to nearly 30 people, including Japan, Australia, Ireland, Norway, and elsewhere. Seven are people with whom I have not previously worked, and two are people from the distant past. My guess is that the livestream will eventually reach more than 3,000 people over the next week, including the live audience.

Have a heart to help people, and  you'll be fine. Try to find ways to make money, and you'll be exhausted.

Hugh Blane

So true: "Have a heart to help people, and  you'll be fine. Try to find ways to make money, and you'll be exhausted."

Hamish Mackenzie
4 hours ago, Alan Weiss said:

Have a heart to help people, and  you'll be fine. Try to find ways to make money, and you'll be exhausted.

I hope I am not going too far off piste here, but I have a friend (not me, seriously) who is receiving abuse on a significant scale for having just launched an online course which happens to be remote-working relevant.

He's been working on it for months and the launch date was pre-planned, but he is getting dozens of messages criticizing him for trying to make money from the current situation, despite the fact it was pre-planned, and he has even ncreased his planned launch discount from 50% to 80%, to allow more people to benefit.

I advised him to ignore the criticism, which likely has more to do with the fact that the people giving it have done absolutely nothing and are feeling guilty/inadequate. Am I right, or should he have handled this differently?

Hugh Blane

Hamish,

Who cares about naysayers? If he's providing value and people want it he'll succeed. If people find his offering as opportunistic he'll fail. I'd use the naysayers to my advantage and exploit their short sightedness by writing about it and creating video content. Go directly at them.

I was forwarded an article by a friend about Tony Romo's new contract with CBS for $180,000,000. In the article Tony mentioned how he learned to be bold in 2006 when he was asked to sign a contract for $500,000. Instead of signing the contract he instead made the case for an amount $1,500,000 more than what he was offered by Jerry Jones, the owner of the Dallas Cowboys. Jerry Jones accepted the idea and gave him the $2,000,000. 

90% of the people who read and responded to the article were dismissing Tony for having selective memory, distorting the facts, and saying he is not a good broadcaster. I read the article and their comments and said, if having selective memory and distorting the facts got me a $180,000,000 contract I'm all in. Not Elizabeth Warren distortion regarding native American genes, but you know what I mean.

Hugh

Alan Weiss

To your point, Hamish, if he's trying to help people and isn't gauging, then to hell with the critics (who are critics because they can't do what he's doing).

I love Tony Romo as a broadcaster. But no one is worth $180,000,000 of a public company's revenues. No one. I read he's making $18,000,000, so maybe someone misplaced a comma and some zeros?

Praveen

I think Romo's contract is $18 million/year for 10 years = $180 million.

KrisWalkerly
On 3/27/2020 at 2:31 PM, ColleenFrancis said:

For those using zoom to run meetings....

@ColleenFrancis thanks so much for the very practical advice on using Zoom to run large and long meetings, super helpful! I want to promote doing Sentient Strategy remotely using Zoom and what's holding me back is that I have not used Zoom before to facilitate long meetings, nor have I ever tried the breakout room function. But now is certainly a good time to figure it out!

Alan Weiss

When you say "long" meetings, I'd strongly recommend that you do no more than 2-3 hours a day, including breaks and exercises. I'm doing Sentient training next week and I'm doing that over three mornings, with homework in between.

KrisWalkerly
On 3/18/2020 at 1:41 PM, ColleenFrancis said:
  • I ran 4 90 minute sessions with 30 minute breaks and an hour for lunch
  • Each 30 minute break also included an exercise that they had to complete and report back on during the next segment

@Alan Weiss that makes sense. AND, @ColleenFrancis can you tell us more about how it went for you and the participants to run this meeting virtually all day?  Were you all exhausted at the end or glad you accomplished everything in one day? Will you continue this schedule, or do you prefer to break meetings/training out over multiple days as Alan suggests?

Edited by KrisWalkerly

Sarah Hathorn

When I teach on Zoom webinars or Zoom meetings, it's best to try to keep your sessions to 90 minutes or two hours maximum. Also when you are teaching on this platform, you need to think of different techniques to engage people in your session to ensure optimal learning. Last week I did a 90 minute session on Zoom and had 65 people registered and  50 people on live interacting from over 10 different countries. Many reached out afterwards asking to work with me. I give Colleen credit, doing a full day session can be exhausting.