Alan's Forums

My Lessons Learned So far

andrewhollo
16 hours ago, Alan Weiss said:

Think of everyone on the planet born in 1900. How do you survive all of that? If you were a kid in 1985 and didn’t think your 85 year old grandparent understood how hard school was. And how mean that kid in your class was. Yet they survived through everything listed above. Perspective is an amazing art, refined as time goes on, and enlightening like you wouldn’t believe. Let’s try and keep things in perspective."

My wife, Kate's, grandfather was born during WW1 and his response to her remark that 'the world would never be the same again after 9-11' was along similar lines: "I've seen the Great Depression, the rise -- and defeat -- of fascism, the bloody decolonisation of most of Asia and Africa, and the rise and fall of the Cold War. Things will be just fine". 

Andrew

Alan Weiss

My father would have said the same thing. People today have little perspective outside of the present, and our schools do not teach history objectively or thoroughly (speaking for the US). I heard a funny line last night in the show Dead to Me, when a mother tried to write a check for a teenage girl. The girls says, watching her with the checkbook, "What are you drawing?"

kareneberdavis
3 hours ago, andrewhollo said:

"I've seen the Great Depression, the rise -- and defeat -- of fascism, the bloody decolonisation of most of Asia and Africa, and the rise and fall of the Cold War. Things will be just fine". 

This is great. Thanks Andrew.

popky

Last week, I heard a news report that the number of COVID deaths here has topped the US casualties in Vietnam. 

And I realized there’s a whole generation of people who don’t understand the importance of the Vietnam War to many of us growing up. Vietnam to them is a great vacation spot, and the place that gave us pho and chains of good inexpensive nail salons. 

Alan Weiss

FYI, at least Hanoi, is a horrible vacation spot, a trip into Communist hell.

If you discount nursing homes, the current rate of deaths in Rhode Island relative to infections is less than 1%.

Alan Weiss

I can't find Lisa Anderson's "Future Proofing" and supply chain discussion, but here's what UPS is sending by way of promotion:

Keep customers happy & gain a competitive edge with better supply chain visibility

Alan Weiss

Here's a typical New York Times headline and story from this morning's edition: Covid deaths are down but the problem now is complacency. There's just never good news. I'm waiting for them to blame the entire pandemic on slavery from the 19th Century.

patrickdaly
On 5/13/2020 at 11:09 AM, Alan Weiss said:

FYI, at least Hanoi, is a horrible vacation spot, a trip into Communist hell.

If you discount nursing homes, the current rate of deaths in Rhode Island relative to infections is less than 1%.

Might not be a great place for a holiday but they have been very effective on combating COVID.

Vietnam which has a long land border with China has had just 300 cases and ZERO deaths!!
A old school buddy of mine who lives in Dubai, but who happened to be in Ho Chi Minh City (formerly Saigon) on business when the crisis hit, got stuck there for the best part of three months. This was because the UAE would not allow resident expats, like him, who were outside the country, to return.  
According to him, in Vietnam, there was a very rigorous lock down, with exhaustive, testing, tracing and follow up. Now they are ready to get going again. Their main risk now is people coming in from the outside .

My buddy finally got out of Saigon this week on a special flight organised by the Irish and British embassies and is now in London, where his wife and children, who have been in Dubai all this time, will join him shortly. The UAE still won’t let him back in. 
Apparently the Vietnamese communist party deeply distrust their Chinese fellow ideologues, they don’t believe anything the Chinese say, and consequently they shut down all connections with China on Feb. 1st. In hindsight, it looks like they did the right thing.

Alan Weiss

It's easy to be harsh and controlling in a totalitarian state. I'm not about to give up my freedoms for a form of government that can better control outbreaks because they can punish and imprison at will. I'll take my chances with microbes before Communism or Bernie Sanders.

• Like 1