Alan's Forums
Hamish Mackenzie

Wins in the Covid Crisis

Hamish Mackenzie

I don't know about anyone else, but even though my business is in less than ideal shape right now, I'm feeling more energized and being more productive since this thing started than I have in a long while - possibly ever. Maybe I'm discovering that a crisis can bring out the best in me. I certainly would never have expected that! Neither am I guaranteeing it's going to last.

Nevertheless, I thought it could be inspirational and motivational for us all if we share our "wins" during this pretty weird period in our lives and businesses.

I propose we make it retrospective to the beginning of last week and let it run until the end of April. if it proves helpful, we could extend it.

What counts as a win?

1. A major piece of IP/content asset published (ebook or bigger i.e. NOT a blog post, Linkedin article, podcast episode, unless it results in 5) or 7) below)
  2. An interview given or a quote used in a major publication in your industry, country or the global stage
  3. An online event held
  4. A new offering launched.
  5. New, hot unsolicited lead received from a potentially big or prestigious client
  6. Pro bono work completed, with results achieved for the client and benefit to you
  7. New business from new or existing client one, ideally with the value of the deal

All of these things have to have been initiated since the beginning of last week as a direct result of the Covid Crisis and have already actually happened - being in the pipeline doesn't count. So, for example, Patrick and I are planning an online event for next Friday, but it won't appear here until we have actually done it). 

I'll leave it up to this fantastic community to decide if this is a winning idea or not, but I'll be posting here once a week until the end of April, even if nobody else does.

Let's keep the entries brief. Messages of congratulation should be restricted to new revenue wins. Questions about how wins were achieved are welcomed.

My win for last week: CEO Guide to Homeworking eBook published, endorsement received from the Managing Director of my biggest client.

• Like 3

Alan Weiss

Ah, sunshine!

JeffreyScott

2 Wins

- Last week shifted a 50 person public event to online, only two clients asked for a refund. (I plan to market it as an online course, more on that later)

- My final consulting client of the season (winter is my peak season) opted to do it online instead of flying down to me, and texted me last night that the check is in the mail. He opted to include a few more people in the process (i.e. an upsale from my original proposal.)

• Like 2

Oriol López

Marketing:

I wrote two newsletters and have been published in two different local newspapers, by sending them the article among with my picture and BIO.

The radio station where I run a weekly section about growth asked me to record an special issue about the Coronavirus in business, that I've shared along.

Finally, I ran two webinars last week about the business effects of the Coronavirus. Both were organised the week before and got 30 and 85 attendees each.

Because of those:

• I've gained two coaching clients
  • I'm running this same webinar for a trade association, an accountants' association and a software company.
  • The CEO of the German company that bought my accounting firm in 2015 has offered my advisory services to all European firms.

Clients:

Apart of that, by proactively call my clients I've ensured two pieces of business (and payments) that were trembling.

I'm also calling old clients and potential clients to ask how are they doing.

My key learning point: move on and try to help as much as possible!

• Like 1

Alan Weiss

Right! Good for you!

SethKahan
I am hosting 4 Zoom calls in the next 48 hours, each of which is free and building the community for future offerings:

1. COVID-19 Response for Association CEOs - 9:30am Tue Mar 24
I already have 30+ association CEOs registered. Purpose is to provide professional support to those leading associations during the pandemic. 

2. COVID-19 Response for Association Execs - 11:00 Tue Mar 24
Same as above but geared to all levels of execs including directors, VPs, exec team - will be folllowing this with paid courses

3. COVID-10 Response for Business Leaders - 3:00 Wed Mar 25
Same as above, but not association specific. Open to all business owners and executives in the private sector.

4. Silver Linings. - 4pm today - Mon, Mar 23
Takes a look at how we take care of ourselves during Shelter-in-place. Purpose is to provide personal, holistic support to maintain psychological readiness and health for our families, colleagues and the country.

• Like 2

Sarah Hathorn

@SethKahan Great work Seth! 

• Like 1

SethKahan

Thank you, @Sarah Hathorn - I especially appreciate the time you have taken with me. It has been an enormous help.

• Like 1

Emerson Wickwire

1. I've just scheduled a national webinar, "Self-care for sleep professionals during difficult times," which will be hosted (without login required) and widely promoted to 10,000 members of the leading professional society, and other societies.

2. Promotion plan:

a. All clients, project sponsors, network, etc.

b. Write brief article for the leading trade journal.

c. Begin the weekly brief mindset email that I have been putting off for years!

KrisWalkerly

@SethKahan could you share the registration links to your Zoom calls so that we can watch and also share them as appropriate? Thanks!

Alan Weiss

• Free livestream for the public on Sustaining and Building Business in Crisis Times (Thursday).

• Sentient Strategy training via Zoom in April, two people signed up.

• Two new KAATN members.

• One new Bentley Card.

• 20 people in my new 90-day coaching program.

• Text on various aspects of business and coping with the crisis on all social media platforms, one reprinted in New York Times

• Two Podcasts on the crisis (The Uncomfortable Truth).

• Rescheduled Sydney Consulting Convention and LA Getting Started in Consulting.

• Providing discounted membership to Growth Access and for Rolls Cards.

• Working through my wine and cigar inventory, Maria cooking up a storm, watching my weight and my liver more than my lungs.

• Like 1

Sophie Boutelegier

On March 13, the day the schools closed, I started a daily blog called '100 day challenge' which will bring positive news about businneses that step up (for example helping caregivers, taking care of employees and customers, being creative to keep their business / industry alive).  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hamish Mackenzie

Great stuff, thank you all for joining with this. I will post my update on Friday.

JeffreyScott

I don't know if this counts as a win, but what is normally my slow season...

- I have worked double time to help all my clients develop rolling 13 week cash flow projections. This will surely literally save some of my clients companies, and also save them as clients for me. (I am also pushing myself to learn new things here, so it's going to make me that much better of a small business consultant)

• Like 1

rayhodge

I signed a new project last week that has offices in two different states. It is the first time I have ever kicked off a project remotely rather than being there in person. 

• Like 1

Shlomo Swidler

I conducted a pro-bono engagement with a regional hospice health care system, which I commenced two weeks ago. They serve about a hundred patients with two dozen nurses and caregivers, and were spending untold hours each week scheduling patient visits to meet their regulatory, health, staff availability, geographic, and financial constraints. My contribution was to create a spreadsheet that allows them to streamline the scheduling process, cutting about ten staff-hours each week and allowing their caregivers to spend more time on patient care and less on administrivia.

In the middle of the project, last week, the terrain shifted radically underneath us when Corona restrictions were enacted that prevented most of their staff from entering the patients' facilities. The scheduling activity suddenly became highly visible and critically important. I delivered an early-access version of the spreadsheet that helped them immediately, and just today I delivered the final version. The leaders are happy, and I know this because they are not frowning. Hospice is a grim business even in a good economy.

I never thought I would say this, but: I am proud that I was able to use my Excel skills for good!

• Like 4

Praveen
8 hours ago, Shlomo Swidler said:

I never thought I would say this, but: I am proud that I was able to use my Excel skills for good!

That's the great thing about your intervention.  You found the simple, elegant solution for them, and didn't over-kill by forcing them to invest in some expensive software solution with a steep learning curve, like an ERP module of some sort.  That's the advantage to consultants who aren't affiliated with solution providers.

• Like 2

Hamish Mackenzie

Friday isn't over yet, so maybe there is another win to come, but I am calling it a day at 4pm, so here is my performance against my original criteria:

1. A major piece of IP/content asset published (ebook or bigger i.e. NOT a blog post, Linkedin article, podcast episode, unless it results in 5) or 7) below) - Ebook published and distributed as already announced, half a dozen endorsements received.
  2. An interview given or a quote used in a major publication in your industry, country or the global stage: Two quotes picked up by journalists via PR Leads submissions, one for a company blog, one for the American Express business website.
  3. An online event held - Zoom webinar conceived with Patrick Daly last Friday, executed this morning to positive if not spectacular results - 28 registrants, 16 showed up, follow up with free resources for all registrants planned for Monday, broader promotion of the recorded webinar and associated resources next week.
  4. A new offering launched - Not launched but I have started building an online course, which I will start offering before the end of April (build as you sell model).
  5. New, hot unsolicited lead received from a potentially big or prestigious client - Well I did get an unsolicited lead but it was the exact opposite of hot, big and prestigious (cold, small and ordinary? A good summary of the first half of my career). I'm going to award myself a quarter of a point.
  6. Pro bono work completed, with results achieved for the client and benefit to you - Discussion with former client held, awaiting briefing for half a day of work next week.
  7. New business from new or existing client, ideally with the value of the deal - Retainer secured to temporarily fulfill a marketing function at an existing client due to corona-related cut backs. I'm not happy about the circumstances, it's not value based, and not ideal work, but I am not in a position to turn it down right now. €10k a month for 1.5 days per week, 4 month minimum, possibly continuing to Autumn or end of year.
  • Like 1

Alan Weiss

I love your perspective, quite candid and sometimes even funny.

You're also going through Sentient Strategy remote training, which I'd chalk up as a "win"!

Stacy Sifleet

I love this post - thanks. 

It took me a minute to dust off my limited motivation as a result of being stuck in the house, but this week has been a good one:

1) I completed a white paper / case study on a topic that I believe is even more important in our current pandemic

2) I launched a free webinar series with two partners.  After 4 days of marketing we have a large enough pool of past clients and potential clients to make this a strong marketing effort

3) Two projects delayed as a result of COVID19 are starting to show life - one is calendared for early May and the other may start as early as mid April

4) One of my babies learned how to dance - COVID19 has resulted in daily dance parties.  (maybe not a professional win but have you ever seen a 15 month old dance - it is awesome)

• Like 1

Hamish Mackenzie

Excellent!

OK, I'll add Sentient in there too.

And I managed to fit in one more win in the last hour - one of this morning's webinar attendees has already requested a call next week with Patrick, which he has also invited me to attend.

Richard Citrin
  • Have conducted 4 webinars (requested by clients) on resilience
  • Have been on 2 podcasts related to my new book on Strategy Driven Leadership
  • Submitting articles to national publications on Strategy Driven Leadership
  • Have been featured in 2 national publications on resiliene
  • Reached out to engineering firm that does crisis and resilience continuity work about the potential of partnering on a comprehensive resilience program for small to mid size companies
  • Signed up for short term coaching program
  • Signed up for remote sentient strategy session
  • Face timing with friends and family on a daily basis

JeffreyScott
  • Started a second weekly newsletter called, Good News Friday. To give my readers something positive to end the week. I share a short video, that I make in one-take in my office, and @LisaLarter puts up on social media.
  • I have pulled all my coaching clients into groups (mini communities), to give them more value and so they don't feel alone.

Hamish Mackenzie

My wins for the week:

• Three quotes picked up via PR leads, the best of which was a piece on executive productivity in an article for Fast Company
  • Small internal project won at existing client, Merck - but the deliverable (yes Alan, I know) will get C-level visibility.
  • Like 1

patrickdaly

- I connected a metal fabricator who had furloughed its 35 staff into a new ventilator manufacturing initiative for which they can make aluminium and polycarbonate parts.

- I found a temporary storage solution for a waste company with pharmaceutical waste stuck at the port that cannot now be exported.

- I am advising one of the principal officers in our ministry of transport on ongoing supply chain challenges in the country so that they can put in place solutions to avoid congestion at ports and airports and keep the import/export supply chains running. We have a 10min call every day.

- I have helped a company with excess imported inventory due to COVID19 find vacant warehouse space to park their inventory temporarily until the crisis is over.

- I have started issuing an email circular every two days to all my contacts with updates on requirements and available resources including contactless thermometers, UV sanitisation lamps, ventilators, container and trailer storage capacity, warehouse storage space etc. etc. to help match people who can solve each other’s resource issues.

- I did the free webinar with Hamish last week that I think he has mentioned already.

This has been one of the busiest and stimulating periods I have ever had. None of this stuff has been revenue generating for me but it just needs to be done right now and I am in the position to be able to do it.

Edited by patrickdaly
  • Like 3