Alan's Forums

Wins in the Covid Crisis

Alan Weiss

On Easter I'll be the lector at 11 am Mass (eastern). There will be one or two priests, perhaps the deacon, and some musicians. I read from the Old Testament, the New Testament, and the Prayer of the Faithful. Maria will sit in the otherwise deserted church. The link is on this page if you'd like to see what this is like or see me wearing a tie: https://www.stgregorychurchri.com Click on "live streaming."

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Alan Weiss

• Hamish Mackenzie

• JeffreyScott

• PaulEvans

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just signed an $800K engagement.  My focus for the past 6 weeks has been industries positively impacted by Covid. This client has increased growth by 27% since Covid.

I conducted a pro-bono engagement with a regional hospice health care system, which I commenced two weeks ago. They serve about a hundred patients with two dozen nurses and caregivers, and were spendi

- I connected a metal fabricator who had furloughed its 35 staff into a new ventilator manufacturing initiative for which they can make aluminium and polycarbonate parts. - I found a temporary st

Posted Images

Stephen Wise
1 hour ago, Alan Weiss said:

On Easter I'll be the lector at 11 am Mass (eastern). 

That is very nice. In Ontario right now we are on lockdown except for essential services. Some people are not listening. My Rabbi was compelled to tell people to stay home.

Alan Weiss

There are some churches and synagogues that are flouting the rules and some religious leaders have been arrested in some parts of the country. Some people say it's more important to pray than ever. That is no doubt true. But God isn't in the edifice, God is in our lives. You're not a person of faith if it's only for an hour a week in a certain building. The Hasidic Jewish community has been especially defiant.

JeffreyScott
48 minutes ago, Alan Weiss said:

The Hasidic Jewish community has been especially defiant.

Out of all my clients all over the country, the only one who told me of deaths in his family (3) and two others in the hospital has been my Orthodox Jewish client in Maryland.

Coincidence?

P.S. I know, hard to believe orthodox Jews in landscaping, but probably in Israel it's more common?

Aviv Ben-Yosef

In Israel the Hasidic communities have been suffering the worst as well. Their cities neighborhoods are one-by-one joining lockdown mode where you cannot exit the area without a permit. It is attributed to being disconnected (most don't have TVs, no social media, no mainstream media, so are unaware of severity) and poverty (if you have 10 kids to feed, and your work requires you to leave the house, you're going to work even if it's against the regulations).

Here's a photo from just a day ago, a truck came over to one neighborhood to sell eggs. You can almost smell the Covid.

image.png.f6b716039fdb9d8fdf1b9f269b30833a.png

Alan Weiss

I've always believed that religion and science can coexist playing complementary roles. But that's not true when one simply ignores the other in either direction. I'm just appalled by this photo.

popky

I'm with you, Alan. It is amazing to me how oblivious these people are.

One of the initial clusters in NY state came from a lawyer from New Rochelle who was infected and then spread the disease throughout the orthodox Jewish community in New Rochelle, Manhattan, and even Teaneck, NJ.

I don't blame him, because he was patient zero and had no idea he was infecting others. But there is no excuse for this kind of behavior given what we know now. As if Israel doesn't have enough issues to deal with--they don't need to make things worse with these kind of irresponsible actions.

Alan Weiss

The comment about them being cut off from the news is interesting, but I think somewhat dubious. All the Hasidic Jews working in the Diamond District (46th and environs) are, perforce, exposed to the news daily and run sophisticated businesses. I'm not trying to pick on a religious group, but I find that people's natural inclinations should be to protect themselves, families, and communities in times of danger. 

Aviv Ben-Yosef

Here in Israel Hasidics are, in general, making the lowest income (at least, declared income). 
When this started, most rabbis aligned with the directions, but a few of the leading rabbis postponed accepting this for a bit too long (one leading figure even said if you donate $1000 you are safe from getting coronavirus). 
Now it seems the vast majority have aligned, but some clusters are still oblivious or don’t care (like that photo above). Police has started patrolling the streets. It’s Seder and my brother is in the streets of Jerusalem as a police officer. 

• Like 1
popky

Hag sameach Aviv. I hope your brother stays safe.

This year, we don't have to ask why this night is different from all other nights. We know why!

Aviv Ben-Yosef

Hag sameach! Indeed, this is  Seder to remember. 

• 2 weeks later...
Hamish Mackenzie

Back to the original topic :) Last week I:

• Revamped my website with two new offerings, new photos, new newsletter: www.hamishmackenzie.com
  • Created and published an ebook to promote Sentient Strategy with a pop up and download page (plus a dedicated page on the revamped website)
  • Engaged with a California-based prospect to help them find a German distributor for their medical device, pro bono.
  • Created a concept with Patrick Daly for an SAC Zoom event on helping ourselves and our clients bounce back, secured speakers and a date.
  • Completed StratCon with Alan
  • Like 2
Hamish Mackenzie

Is that a win for you or your razor?

Alan Weiss

Three days without shaving makes me feel like a homeless person. A brilliant and successful homeless person, but nevertheless a homeless person.

patrickdaly

I’ve NOTICED the springtime more this year than in any previous year. It’s spectacular. Because I’m at home, I walk every day for about an hour. We are allowed a 2km radius from home and within that I’ve got an 800ft wooded hill with views of about 40 miles all around, a beach, a town centre and two or three large parks. Amazing what you notice when you slow down, get out of the car and start to actually see and hear the world all around.

Hamish Mackenzie

Do you have a spare room?

patrickdaly

I do actually, because my son now lives, guess where? Yes! In Germany!

DavidOgilvie
On 3/25/2020 at 12:11 AM, Emerson Wickwire said:

I've just scheduled a national webinar,

Can you share the details, some of us maybe interested 

Alan Weiss

I can only post this here. Local car dealers are offering great deals with 120 months to pay at no interest, and four months before the first payment is due. TLM says, "You know, that's hard to resist. I've always wanted a pickup truck."

I said, "Well, the payments are minuscule, do you want to pick one out?"

On reflection, TLM says, "No, that would be conspicuous consumption."

I always wondered where that line was....

• Haha 1
NatalieNixon

Thanks for this prompt @Hamish Mackenzie. In this time I've:

1. Collaborated with 5 different associations and companies and given free webinars. That's enabled me to give clients and potential clients a fresh perspective. Plus it has boosted my email list and kept me visible.
  2. I am booking podcast interviews for my upcoming book launch of The Creativity Leap -available now for pre-sale on Amazon and B&N :)
  3. I've picked up 2 new coaching clients.
  4. I am developing an online course- which will be launched in conjunction with my new book.

• Like 1
Alan Weiss

Nice work, Natalie.

FYI, everyone: In my 90-day, Crisis Coaching program I'm advising people on how to call and write buyers and recommenders on a disciplined basis. This morning I was told that one person received two positive conversations and two referrals, with the promise of more, from making 25 calls. He also received two agreements to talk from 25 emails.

Another made 50 calls in one week (I suggested 10) and received 14 agreements to talk and one piece of immediate business. 

In both these cases the individuals had significant numbers when I asked them to list "everyone you know."

Heidipozzo

Thanks @Hamish Mackenzie for starting this thread! I closed an executive advisory agreement on Friday, kicked off on Zoom Monday. It wasn't on your list of wins, but after doing Zoom yoga pretty much everyday, my planks are in great shape!

• Like 1
Gary Covert

Hamish, I love this thread. Many wins over last couple weeks:

2 webinars that have resulted in leads

good brand strategy and ideas from Alan that resulted in application for a trademark 

completion of a new ebook I’ll start using for marketing tomorrow

....and just now the editor of a major trade publication accepted my offer of an article. 

None of these would have been possible for me without great examples people on the Forum have shared. So much positive energy and action during this crisis. Thank you!

PaulaFlynn

Hi all,

Based on Hamish's inspiration, I wonder if anyone can help me with a few questions about e-book creation and distribution.  What software do people use to create their e-books.  What is the recommended length and what are people using for distribution.  Many thanks, Paula