Alan's Forums

Wins in the Covid Crisis

Alan Weiss

Rhode Island is in Phase 3 or whatever, and here are the latest statistics. I've just been informed that Nantucket is just about fully opened and we'll be going there in August as planned.

Screen Shot 2020-06-25 at 7.28.19 AM.png

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Alan Weiss

• Hamish Mackenzie

• JeffreyScott

• PaulEvans

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just signed an $800K engagement.  My focus for the past 6 weeks has been industries positively impacted by Covid. This client has increased growth by 27% since Covid.

I conducted a pro-bono engagement with a regional hospice health care system, which I commenced two weeks ago. They serve about a hundred patients with two dozen nurses and caregivers, and were spendi

- I connected a metal fabricator who had furloughed its 35 staff into a new ventilator manufacturing initiative for which they can make aluminium and polycarbonate parts. - I found a temporary st

Posted Images

patrickdaly

Here is a win that pleasantly surprised me.

About two weeks ago I confirmed a new project with 100 per cent payment up front with a prospect who I hadn’t, and still haven’t, met in person. We have only ever interacted on Zoom.
He signed up to a free webinar on strategy that I marketed during the initial COVID panic. He accepted the offer of a free follow up Zoom consultation that took place some weeks later. From that came a proposal that he accepted and opted for up front payment in exchange for a discount.

We started work a couple of weeks ago and things are progressing very well. All the work is being done remotely using Zoom.

I have another, similar prospect, at proposal stage with a follow up call next week on which I hope to get confirmation to proceed.

In person for sales is better, but probably not always absolutely necessary in certain circumstances.

Alan Weiss

45 proper joined my crisis coaching offering of 90 days for $2500 from 12 countries. At his point, six have converted to either KAATN or a Bentley Card. I expect six more will, at a minimum. At this point, 35 are still within their original 90 days. 

Alan Weiss

Here's what my tax accounting firm is doing, which I think is brilliant. Are you doing anything similar for your clients?

Screen Shot 2020-06-26 at 5.11.00 PM.png

Becky Morgan

I can’t tell what is beyond a webinar; pls describe for the visually impaired

Ron Evans

Hi, Becky — it says “Building a finance function for a post-Covid world” and then it lists some times and dates.

• Thanks 1
Alan Weiss

Becky, how about trying: "I'm not able to read what's below, can someone help me?" 

Sten Vesterli
On 6/25/2020 at 3:27 PM, Alan Weiss said:

Rhode Island is in Phase 3 or whatever, and here are the latest statistics. I've just been informed that Nantucket is just about fully opened and we'll be going there in August as planned.

Screen Shot 2020-06-25 at 7.28.19 AM.png

Since you're leading by example, Alan, does this mean I'm allowed to post graphs again?  ;-)

Alan Weiss

Permission granted, Sten, but they must be less than 400,000 micro pixels, or whatever the hell is used for printing these days. 

Praveen

That data is interesting:

1. The number tested has gone up sharply, but the number testing positive has plateaued, which is a good sign, and also means that the positive case total (16,606) is probably accurate.

2. That means that the death rate is about 5.5% (912/16606).

3. If we add up the "total fatalities",  "Currently hospitalized", and "discharges", we get 2589. That means the hospitalization rate is 15.6%.

I think the death rate is falling across the U.S., because hospitals are getting smarter about treating it, so I think the hospitalization rate is more important than it gets talked about.  If you have a 15.6% chance of needing hospitalization, I would consider that a much bigger inconvenience than wearing a mask indoors in public and practicing distancing.

Alan Weiss

Praveen, if you look qualitatively at the numbers and not just quantitatively—an ongoing distortion with statistics—and you remove nursing home deaths, underlying medical problems (diabetes, etc.), and congested housing of largely immigrant families, the death toll is less than 1 percent. Over the past weekend 19 people died. Eighteen were over 70 and ranged into their 90s. And many deaths attributed nationally to covid are not really accurate, just lumped in because it's easier.

You can protest in the streets, elbow to elbow, but you can't attend a theatrical event or church without harsh seating restrictions? We're still sanitizing every square inch of public property even after learning the virus isn't spread by contact. 

JeffreyScott

Praveen, I had the same reaction as Alan did when I read your post last night.

Alan, it makes me wonder what is going on in the media, that they don't spend much time dissecting this--but they do focus on the fact that minorities are overly represented. It seems like subjective journalism to me. What do you think?

LisaLarter

@JeffreyScott

this is a response from Alan who is having technical issues accessing the forum right now.  

Subjective journalism is redundant. Listen to the 6:30 pm news on any of the major networks. It is breathless in its negative reporting. Nothing is ever good except for the obligatory ending "feel good" story. They want to convey calamity, and they want that calamity associated with the next election. They are remorselessly liberal and are trying to make condition in the US far worse than they are. (The worst decisions have been made in Democratic-led states and cities in my view.)

The Times selectively takes an individual's horror story and transmutes it into a generalization of woe. The medical issues are daunting, but far from the worst in history or even what's been predicted by the Chicken Little Light Infantry. The economic damage is far worse, vast and pervasive, because of largely terrible government policy and fear. 

Alan Weiss

From now on, Lisa will speak for me while I drink water. If it works, we're going to Vegas.

Alan Weiss

US stocks just finished their best quarter in over 20 years, in case you're not reading the papers....

ColleenFrancis
23 hours ago, Alan Weiss said:

US stocks just finished their best quarter in over 20 years, in case you're not reading the papers....

Do you think this will be the case with Q2 results are released? I'm guessing most of the S&P500 had sub optimal results.

Alan Weiss

I really don't know, but no one expected this, either. Basically, large companies are in good shape, people have faith in the future, and we're now inured to the pandemic. Europe has barred Americans from visiting, and that doesn't mean a thing, since there are plenty of places to visit right here! But who's the big loser in that decision? The Marriott in Sydney is refunding me $50,000, the hotel in Corsica $5,000, and so forth. 

patrickdaly

Europeans have been banned from travelling to the a US for months now - so I guess it is lose-lose.

Alan Weiss

True enough, except tourism is about 4% of EU GDP and 3% of Australian GDP (the US is 3%). "Internal" tourism is far easier and more lucrative in the US. The Australians aren't allowing international travel until 2021. I think this is going to hurt far more outside the US than in. 

• 4 weeks later...
Roberta Matuson

I believe the following counts for a win during the virus.

I've just accepted an offer to publish my sixth book. The working title is, The Conversation Equation: The Winning Formula for Navigating Difficult Work Situations. The tentative pub date is September 2021.

This go around for getting a book published was tougher than in the past. However, I persevered.

Now the fun part begins...the writing of the book!

• Like 2
mvcioni

Great win and congratulations Roberta!

• Like 1