Alan's Forums

Bloomberg "Anybody Need a Management Consultant Right Now? Thought Not"

Noah Fleming

https://www.bloomberg.com/opinion/articles/2020-03-26/coronavirus-anybody-need-a-management-consultant-thought-not?utm_campaign=socialflow-organic&utm_content=business&cmpid=socialflow-facebook-business&utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=social&fbclid=IwAR37N5YrMWPQ5wr-wmiMR8K5ndhDBNfqVR63Df9pxXhZst4JU--4WUIZdAM

What a dumb article.

While I DO agree that some management consultants are going to have a tough time, or as the author says "management consultant with powerpoint skills," I think there's a HUGE opportunity for those of us who are experts in our fields and have built brands and followings.

This is our time to shine. Every company in the world needs to figure out new skills and new ways of doing things.

People like @Roberta Matuson have a golden opportunity right now with the new working from home reality.

Sales & Marketing experts have an excellent opportunity to teach companies how to sell remotely.

Companies need to learn how to manage remotely, which means better processes and systems.

Leaders need to learn more effective ways of dealing with crisis and preparing for downturns.

Lots of opportunities around.

I'm seeing the mix of responses from my clients. Some are drastically cutting expenses which may mean cutting me, and others are responding with optimism.

Personally, I'm struggling to get my own mindset wrapped around the potential of any big projects in the near short team, but I think this is going to be a great time for experts and thought leaders to shine. 

I'm looking forward to Alan's livestream.

• Like 1
Stacy Sifleet

Thank you for sharing this.  

I advised a meat processor yesterday on how to adjust their scheduling and inventory processes as their demand has increased and mix has shifted significantly as a result of the pandemic.  While, yes we are not on the front line, and likely no one will die if we don't show up to work tomorrow.  The summer school lunch program  that is being leveraged early will be stocked as a result of my client getting consultant support.  

I agree, I think consultants are needed more than ever now to support businesses in facing these drastically different demand situations.  We do need everyone on the front line to show up - and I think we all appreciate them.  I think us as the consultants, advisers, thinkers can help make their work most efficient.  

Alan Weiss

So here's what you do about that, this took me ten minutes:

To the editor:

The current article headed “Anyone Need A Management Consultant Right Now….” is shocking in its ignorant reference to consultants and knowledge of the workplace. Consultants are ideally suited for remote work, serving everyone from CEOs to front-line workers as trusted advisors and coaches. I’ve written over 50 books on consulting and have worked with 200 of the Fortune 500 businesses in addition to entrepreneurs, non-profit boards, hospital CEOs, police chiefs and governors. I’ve never touched a PowerPoint presentation, nor been able to sit through one, despite the stereotype she suggests.

I don’t see why Ms. Kluth needs to gratuitously demean an entire profession to try to make her point. Oh, yeah: I’ve consulted with the publishers and editors of over a dozen major newspapers. If she needs my help to be more accurate and understanding of business needs, I’ll supply it pro bono.

Alan Weiss

85 Brisas Circle

East Greenwich, RI 02818

40/884/4343

The writer is the author of the 28-year best-seller, Million Dollar Consulting.

• Like 2
Kim Wilkerson

I'm curious... If he (the author) hadn't made the inappropriate and unwarranted crack about consultants (title and beyond), what's your take on the intent of the article? Was this a good idea and message that was poorly framed and executed? 

Not defending him, merely curious as to anyone's take on the rest of the content. 

Noah Fleming

I'd go with poorly framed and excuted. I get his point but he can't seem to make it without reverting to petty attacks or arguments we've all heard already (why are NBA players  and celebrities being tested and garbage collectors arent?)

Then he ends by saying we're all connected, we all have a role to play, and everybody needs to show up.

I guess that means everybody...except management consultants who are now 'utterly dispensable.'

Clickbait?

Alan Weiss

I found it representative of a great many articles these days which are clearly intended to get the author some exposure but aren't very helpful and often are mean-spirited. This was the editor's fault, this never should have been printed and I'm assuming my letter won't be printed.

I've always been surprised at consultants who brag they blog for Fast Company, for example, which not only is about of zero help with their audience, but which historically criticized consulting.