Alan's Forums

NatalieNixon

My new book, The Creativity Leap: Unleash Curiosity, Improvisation and Intuition at Work,  launches on June 23, 2020. If you want a refreshing perspective on how to apply creativity in practical ways for transformative outcomes. Creativity is "our ability to toggle between wonder and rigor to solve problems and produce novel value". Go to Figure 8 Thinking and download a free sample chapter.

Let me know your thoughts!

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...
Jason Borowicz

Hi Natalie, enjoyed the first chapter. A good overview, and distinction, between complexity and complicated. I came to service design through philosophy - epistemology specifically - trying to answer the question, How can we know? And would we know that we know?

I think your perspective in helping organizations become more dynamic will be of deep and useful service. 

My work has been in creative capability and one of the big gaps I found in service design is that only 7% of the tools / methods are reserved for implementation phases. Does your book cover implementation? (Obviously hard to see based on the one chapter! :) ) From my view, this criticism is only half fair, but worth considering. After all, if there are useful methods like project management that implement usefully, does another need to be invented? On the other hand, might service design find faster ways to implement? And if not faster, better in terms of longer life of the asset or deeper value for wider range of customers, etc.?

Stay curious!

Praveen

Hi Natalie,

I also enjoyed the first chapter.  There's lots of great ideas there.  I especially liked how you talked about jazz, because I've written an article for the Chicago Business Journal on how famous 1930's jazz pianist Art Tatum is a better model of innovation than Silicon Valley.

Alan Weiss

I agree with Praveen. Someone told me the other day that when I riff during a presentation it's like a jazz musician.