Alan's Forums
Sarah Hathorn

Advice to clients around decision making and planning

Sarah Hathorn

I'm hearing from some of my clients that they don't know where to start on making decisions or planning for the future. They feel paralyzed or fearful they might make the wrong decision or execute the wrong plan. How are those of you here in this group handling those coaching challenges or providing advice? I'm wondering if the decision making process needs to be a tweaked a bit during these unprecedented times, or would you advise them to make decisions as they have in the past. 

Becky Morgan

They should be listening to as many customers as they can to understand the changes the market is making and expecting. No one can afford to be frozen now. As Dr Weiss says, “80% and go.” Today I would say “51% and go.” They can make changes and adjustments as they are moving what their best guess of forward looks like. 

Linda Henman

Sarah, I don't know what process they have used up until now. I seldom look at decision-making processes. I look at the people making the decisions.  If they have advanced critical skills, they will be better equipped to make strategic decisions they've never made before. 

If they are stronger tactical thinkers, and their success is related to a series of good tactical decisions, they are going to need some help figuring out what to do.

No one knows what will happen in a given industry, but some people are just better at anticipating the future. 

I'm working with exceptionally good thinkers, so they just need to do what they've always done.

danmarkovitz

Sarah, I just published a book on how to avoid jumping to solutions. It's only 75 pages — a fast read — and might be useful in helping your clients figure out how to better understand the problem they're grappling with. 

I'm happy to send you a pdf, or if you're a Kindle Unlimited member, you can get the e-book for free. (Or you can buy it for the low low price of $9.95.) Here's the Amazon link: https://amzn.to/2B9zxwd.

dan

Alan Weiss

"Then you're lucky I'm here. Let me tell you the best practices I've gleaned from my most successful clients and how I can help you implement them here. For example, are you familiar with 'fail-proof decsion making'?"

Sarah Hathorn

@Becky Morgan I agree the need to keep abreast of changing market conditions. I like your 51% and go. Just adapt and make changes along the way. I'm using that one. Thanks! 

@Linda Henman Thanks for your insight. I like your perspective do they have advanced critical skills or are they tactical thinkers. I'll need to dive more into that and hopefully help them become better critical thinkers. 

@danmarkovitz I appreciate you sharing your book as a recommendation. Many thanks. 

Sarah Hathorn

@Alan Weiss Thanks Alan. I love your language and the phrase 'fail-proof decision making'. 

Linda Henman

Sarah, that's a pretty unrealistic goal. They are pretty much what they are going to be.

You can, however, help them leverage the skills they have through questioning. Help them challenge assumptions, see patterns, do scenario testing, etc. 

Acting as an effective sounding board for all major decisions is the best thing we can do for clients right now.

Sarah Hathorn

@LindaHenman Thank you for your guidance here. I like your thoughts on being an effective sounding board.