Alan's Forums

Are you flying yet?

Stacy Sifleet

I kicked off of project on Wednesday morning and was planning on flying but felt uneasy about it.  The drive was a bit longer than I would want to do for a 4 hour project kick off and warehouse tour - 350 miles each way.  My husband decided to take some time off and drive with me to just get away for a night, so we ended up driving.  

I'm curious - have others started flying yet?  How is it different?  

What are your plans for when you will get back on the road?  

Alan Weiss

I'm simply not due to travel by plane, but I'd do so without hesitation. 

PaulEvans

I'm flying to NYC next month, which will be my first since C-19. Flying friends have mentioned the the low travel crowds and high level of sanitation.

Alan Weiss

This is the longest consecutive period I have not been on an airplane since 1972, when I first entered the consulting profession.

Becky Morgan

I’m flying Sunday to visit my elderly mom. Taking Southwest since they guarantee empty middle seats. 

Linda Henman

Becky, are they requiring masks?

I've heard mixed reports on this about different airlines.

ColleenFrancis

Chris (my husband) flew to Miami and back a week ago. He's going back July 6th

• American is not social distancing on their flights and their planes were sold out completely (including all middle seats) between Charlotte and Miami. 
  • Masks are required inside the terminals at all time
  • Air Canada is not selling middle seats on 3 X 3 configurations or the isle seats in a 2 x 2 configuration
  • No alcohol is being served and biz class is getting a boxed meal
  • United and American are no requiring masks and kicking people off flights who do not wear them
  • Service in the terminal is hit and miss. In Philly only one restaurant per terminal was open. In Charlotte everything was open. 

I'm flying to Detroit in August.

• Like 1
Douglas Squirrel

Anyone flying internationally? Fourteen-day self-isolation at both ends seems to be an insuperable barrier at the moment (applies to UK-US travel at least, I think to many other locations too).

ColleenFrancis
6 minutes ago, Douglas Squirrel said:

Anyone flying internationally? Fourteen-day self-isolation at both ends seems to be an insuperable barrier at the moment (applies to UK-US travel at least, I think to many other locations too).

It's a pain. Chris got home from to Canada from the US last Friday and can't leave our property for 14 days. Canada has a 14 day quarantine requirement for anyone entering Internationally.

Douglas Squirrel

Thanks @ColleenFrancis. I'm not as worried about the return, as I could work 100% from home as I already am. But the entry to the US seems to be a big problem, as I guess I'd have to sit in a hotel or at my in-laws for a fortnight before I could do what I came for.

Did Chris not have to isolate for 14 days after arriving in Miami?? I thought that was the rule for international arrivals -- or maybe it is only for Europe, or has been lifted?

danmarkovitz

I've flown NY <> SF four times since Covid. The airports are a delight — no crowds and no lines at TSA. Planes leave the gate on time and hit the runway immediately — you're never 37th in line for takeoff. 

None of my four flights were crowded. The biggest load probably had about 40 people on the plane. Ironically, economy was less crowded than biz class, as frequent fliers are finally able to use miles to upgrade, and biz class prices are lower than they have been. On my flights, everyone wore masks for the whole trip (5 hours), and I didn't see any of the conflict about masking up that you often read about.

The planes are heavily cleaned between flights, and on my last trip, flight attendants handed out Purell wipes to everyone for additional wiping. Service is limited — they come by once with water/snacks, and then you need to get up if you want more. No booze. No open beverages. 

I have no qualms about flying (although to be fair, my wife says that I carry my own bucket of sand with me to stick my head in).

• Like 1
ColleenFrancis
2 hours ago, Douglas Squirrel said:

Did Chris not have to isolate for 14 days after arriving in Miami?? I thought that was the rule for international arrivals -- or maybe it is only for Europe, or has been lifted?

The US does not have a quarantine requirement for Canadians currently. I think it's country by country specific. 

Becky Morgan
1 hour ago, ColleenFrancis said:

The US does not have a quarantine requirement for Canadians currently. I think it's country by country specific. 

I thought our borders were mutually closed for all except ‘essential’ travel. Not true, or was it essential Chris left the country! ; )

Becky Morgan

@Linda Henman The 6/18 WSJ pg A11 has an article on which airlines are doing what, as of now.

Most require face masks; if someone refuses the FA gives the seat # to ground control who then meets the passenger; without a valid health reason, they are put on a no-fly list for that airline.

BUT, I would add that the airlines cannot insist on getting health info (HIPPA) so it’s likely a farce — unless the maskless person insists it’s his right to not wear one — big signal.

Stacy Sifleet

Thanks for all of the feedback.  The drive was a pain much better with company but still a pain.  I'll fly next time.  

patrickdaly

This has been the longest period I have been grounded for years!
This is an island of just 32,000 square miles and we are among the most assiduous air travellers in the world. I usually travel internationally every 4 to 6 weeks for one reason or another.

I would be happy to fly now taking reasonable precautions. However, with a 14-day quarantine requirement on re-entry in place here until July 9th, I will not travel abroad before then. My Spanish mother-in-law celebrates her 90th birthday on July 12th and we really hope to be in Spain for that.
None of my clients has been allowing visits to their premises since early March and I haven’t been further than about 20 miles from home since then. In fact, up until this week, the last time I refuelled my car was on March 13th!

The incredible thing is that I haven’t done any less business than usual and have been able to do all my work from home including new sales to people I have only ever interacted with online! Who knew that was possible?

I have my first visit to a new prospect premises next week. They make and administer COVID19 tests globally. They sent me a self-administered test kit with a nasal swab to be collected by UPS that I did yesterday. They will allow me on site if it comes back negative.

I know it all sounds rather extreme but daily fatalities have dwindled to single-digits here on a consistent basis over the last several weeks. The opening up of the economy - without any significant new outbreak - is now gathering pace and we should be pretty much fully opened by July  20th. 
Meanwhile, the capacity and infrastructure has been built to cope with a second wave should it arrive in the autumn.

Edited by patrickdaly
Alan Weiss

Rhode Island is entering "phase 3" which means that everything is pretty much open with some light restrictions. A great many "suggestions" are just arbitrary guesses—why 250 at an outdoor activity, and not 175 or 300? But most of us have learned that we can conduct business perfectly well remotely, with a minority in person, a direct reversal of pre-virus beliefs and norms. As for air travel, it will rebound, especially for the tourist market, once countries become less paranoid. My belief is that business meetings and business travel will remain depressed, though crowds will return because of far fewer flights.

The elephant in the room is simply this: Economies MUST now open almost completely, because you can't force people to go through their life savings and lose their businesses or lose their jobs to try to create an illusory medical surety. There will be more outbreaks, some surges, and some deaths, primarily those with underlying medical problems, or stuck in congested living areas, or just unlucky. There is no alternative but to go that route. We simply can't wreck entire economies for the sake of  trying to avoid illness at any cost, or for the sake of politicians who simply want to be reelected.

Stacy Sifleet

Yes business can be done remotely but oh my gosh it was great to see people in person.   I find walking the facility to be very helpful in assessing a business.   My client this week allowed it with some precautions.   

Next week, I am starting another project and they are not allowing visitors.  My client will be walking the plant with zoom on their phone for a virtual tour.  I'd rather be in person but remote is what we can do now and in terms of time efficiency  it is great.  

JeffreyScott

This is ironic, because in the past many of my clients (who all have facilities) would wonder out loud when I told them that I do NOT need to see your facility.  I tell them I care much more about what is between your ears, same goes for your leadership team. And I care more about watching you and your team interact, than I do about watching how your production staff load their trucks.

This is why I invite them and their team to come visit me in person. I ask THEM to get on the airplane. The advantage is they get out of their day to day.

This is what separates me from so many other consultants in my niche. They all want to go see the facility, and I simply don't care: all the low hanging fruit is mental not physical.

I realize you can't do this with larger companies and corporations, but it is interesting to think about.

• Like 3
Linda Henman

No one wants me in person now, and most of my clients are just now getting back in the office themselves. So, no one is asking me to travel.

In the past, however, clients have wanted me to tour their facilities. I don't need to do this as part of my work, but it does help. They want to show off what they're proud of, and I'm happy to comply. That usually means putting on safety goggles, a hard hat, or some other accessory.

I will say I see something almost every time I'm in person. Once I asked why the building was already empty at 4. That led to another conversation and more work.

rayhodge

Australia is starting to ease restrictions and I have started in-person meetings these past few weeks which I’ve been enjoying. I started a national project on the first week of lockdown and with Zoom,  phone and email have not noticed anything different than from being onsite. Has made me rethink my work - both local and national. Learning how to share my screen on zoom has been a big help too :-)

Alan Weiss

I think you all should think about marketing in person, but delivering remotely. If you feel the burning need to be on site to provide value, I can guarantee you're too labor intensive.

patrickdaly

I am delighted with the way the restrictions have taught my clients how much (which I already believed) could be done remotely.
I reckon I have avoided over 6,000 road miles and several flights since March. I hope and expect that much of this new way of working will stick.

Today I am planning how to relocate to the Med for July and August now that Spain and Portugal will be accepting visitors without quarantine.

Alan, when you say “marketing in person” what are you referring to specifically?

Alan Weiss

I mean that to close business with a new buyer it's going to always be best to meet in person. I mean that hosting an event, speaking at an event, networking at events should be done in person.

Stacy Sifleet

On 6/20/2020 at 12:55 PM, Linda Henman said:

I will say I see something almost every time I'm in person. Once I asked why the building was already empty at 4. That led to another conversation and more work.

Yes Linda.  I really like to walk the facility because it helps me identify additional opportunity quickly.   I can usually get the same information talking to people.  Walking the facility helps me see a broad set of operations quickly and points me to right questions.  Time on site is also helpful for me in strengthening the relationship with the client.