Alan's Forums

Should I record an audio book?

ChristianMuntean

ChristianMuntean

I periodically receive requests for an audio version of my books. The co-author of the third book that I'm working on is very committed to the idea of producing one. 

Is it worth it?  

Does it make more sense to do my own narration or to hire that out? 

My first two books were commercially published by BEP. The third is in the proposal stage. BEP would probably be fine with my doing it / or having it done. 

Alan Weiss

First, read the contract. "They will probably be fine..." is not a smart way to go, make sure.

Second, ignore one-off comments. "Periodic requests are meaningless. 

Finally, don't be reactive. If you want to do an audio book ask yourself what the advantages for you are. They are certainly not revenue. Will it help your marketing significantly? My opinion is "no." Digital yes, audio no. (And don't "hire out" the narrator, do it yourself or find a volunteer.)

JeffreyScott

Christian, For what its worth, I get asked a lot for an audio version of my book, so I finally decided I would read my book myself, chapter at a time, as part of my new podcast series. So the next time someone asks for the audio version I will simply point them to my podcast series.

Becky Morgan

My contract with Taylor and Francis says they will decide if there’s going to be an audiobook.

Alan Weiss

If your contract says "no," case closed. If you can do something, I'd make a series of podcasts as suggested which are far more flexible. But bear in mind, you have zero evidence that an audio book is desired in large numbers or would help your marketing. You have a "solution" in search of a problem.

ChristianMuntean

The contract allows for it. The publisher owns the rights but the royalty changes depending on who pays for production. They don't define who makes the decision. But when I last asked (a couple years ago) I was told if I wanted to pay for it, they were fine. 

The reason I asked here is that I didn't have mass demand or evidence for initially writing a book. I just went off of Alan's advice and the experience of others. The book has proven to be very valuable. 

Revisiting those sources, I'm hearing it's probably not worth it to produce the audio version. 

Alan Weiss

I think a series of podcasts makes sense, or a series of ebooks based on your book, but with different wording so there's no copyright problem with the publisher. Even a series of videos.