Alan's Forums

Amazon's requirements

Linda Henman

Linda Henman

Just had a helpful email from Richard Citrin that he was unable to review my new book on Amazon. When I contacted the publisher, they said they thought Amazon was cracking down on reviewers and not allowing those who did not purchase a book to write reviews.

Has anyone else run into this?

Alan Weiss

I haven't but I do know that some people who, surprisingly, hate me, write negative reviews whenever they can without ever touching my books. But the opposite occurs as well. What if someone gave you the book as a gift? You can't review it?! But it may have been Richard. Or Pittsburgh. 

Linda Henman

I also wonder if they responded that way because the book isn't out yet. You can pre-order but won't get your copy for a couple of weeks.

Alan Weiss

I can't recall any of my books, despite very aggressive pre-pub orders, being reviewed before it was available. However, you can get "editorial reviews" early. I'm not sure how they are arranged, but I've seen them. And I have received other media reviews pre-pub from sources to whom I send an early copy. 

Roberta Matuson

I suspect you're right Linda. Probably this way because the book hasn't been released yet.

I noticed with my first book Leadership Material, the term 'verified purchase' headed up a number of reviews. they might have tightened up since then?

You can't place a review on Amazon until the book is officially released.

Because people were gaming the system, Amazon now relies more heavily on verified reviews, which means the reviewer has bought the book from Amazon.

Linda Henman

That's about the only thing that makes sense. The "reviews" that I have on my page now are the testimonials from the back of the book jacket.