Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Alan's Forums

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

A Minute With Alan® — Woke

Featured Replies

As a life-long student of language, education, and human behavior, I applaud you for this post.

People often gasp when I explain that as a special ed. teacher, we often categorized children as MR (mentally retarded) or EMR (Educable, mentally regarded). The labels were not meant to be pejorative, merely descriptive. It was our internal language for describing the condition of a child that we were handing off to the next teacher, along with text scores, learning plans, etc.

I will never mind being called a "lady," even though many have said that it is a judgmental term because it implies some women have not earned the title. Gentleman, apparently, is not objectionable.

  • Author

Thank you!

Couldn't agree more.

As you know, I'm not a believer, but I think there is something to the whole confession thing, with making amends, and asking for forgiveness.

  • Author

Tolerance and forgiveness are hallmarks of most of the major religions. They are also far better psychologically: You admit your error, you try to atone for it, you ask for forgiveness, you learn from your mistake, and then you move on. Pain is inevitable but suffering is voluntary. Continued pain, guilt, and/or stress mask talent for as long as they are present.

Woke:  “aware of and actively attentive to important societal facts and issues (especially issues of racial and social justice)” (WOKE Definition & Meaning - Merriam-Webster)

By this definition, I am woke.

The problem is what I like to call the “paper straw issue”. This is where one video of one turtle with a straw in its nose. And because of this we have paper straws.  Instead of a reasonable reaction, let’s try not to pollute our oceans, there was a frenzy to ban plastic straws to never have another turtle, or any other animal, to be injured by a plastic straw.

This is not always the reaction of the woke crowd.  It is an aberration, albeit an absurd one.

Another example of woke is our constitution.  Our founding fathers, despite many of them being at opposite ends of most of the ideas stated within, created a woke document that rejected monarchy for self-determination, justice, and a plethora of rights.  

A little closer to home is the right of a woman to have a credit card, in her name, without the need of a man to authorize it.  The ECOA (1974).

 I remain proud of being woke even though perfect justice and fairness will never be attained. I will always try to be aware and attentive to issues of justice and fairness.  Fully knowing that this is not attainable.  As I have learned, do the work as best you can and don’t worry about perfection.

  • Author

I agree with all that, but I'll mention two things.

  1. This is Drucker: Laws formed because of the actions of one miscreant are bad laws because they penalize thousands of innocent people. Those are the eco laws based on existential fears and not reality.

  2. "Woke" is a stupid term, which generally interprets as "you were asleep and ignorant before you opened your eyes, and now you're enlightened." I'm against injustice. I'm vehemently against "cancelling people" who don't conform to the tastes of those who set themselves up on a higher moral plain.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.